Our legendary SFX battles let SFX makeup artists in NC battle it out for the best special effects makeup look in two unique categories – Original Character, and Grab Bag. Our grab bag SFX challenge ups the difficulty with a bag of assorted materials and items that must be incorporated into the finished look.
Our judges are Starr & Dean Jones, Emmy award winning SFX artists, directors, filmmakers, and haunters who run The Original Hollywood Horror Show in Snow Camp, NC, in addition to their production studio, Atlantic Pacific Studios.
SFX Battle Rules
- Battles on Saturday (Original Character) and Sunday (Grab Bag). You can sign up for 1 or both of these contests.
- MUAs and their models will need to be able to access the show floor on the day of their competition Tickets to the convention are not included when approved to compete.
- Contestants and their models should arrive 15 minutes prior to start for set up time and to check in. Each competition includes 45 minutes to complete your look.
- MUAs need to provide their own model, makeup and supplies. For the Grab Bag on Sunday, surprise materials will be provided that must be incorprated into the look. MUAs should have varying supplies on hand for application of those surpise elements.
- You may use costuming (not required as the focus is on the makeup) and it may be store bought. Models can arrive already in costume to begin the competition.
- Appliances (full or partial) are not required. If used, they should be made by the MUA, not purchased, and should not be pre-painted or applied in advance.
- Wig and hair elements may be store bought, but not applied in advance. Judging will include looking at skill level in applying of any hair/fur elements.
- Focus of the judges will be: Demonstrating technique and skill of applications, use of color and texture, and originality of design.
- Prizes, certificates and/or awards will be announced at the event. Judging team includes NC -based, Emmy Award winning SFX Artists Starr and Dean Jones.